Did you know that proper attic ventilation is crucial to the efficiency of your home? Attic ventilation is a system of properly placed exhaust and intake vents that create a strong air flow to release heat and moisture from your attic. Without a properly designed system, moisture and heat build-up can wreak havoc on your home by creating the following conditions in your attic:
- Condensation accumulation that affects the ability of nails to retain their hold, and also causes the roof deck to swell and possibly buckle over time.
- Moisture build-up that reduces the effectiveness of your insulation and can lead to wood rot, mold and mildew. This in-turn, reduces the air quality inside of the home.
- Roofing shingles that become distorted and deteriorate prematurely from heat or moisture.
- Extensive heat build-up with temperatures able to reach over 140 degrees.
- Attic heat that radiates into living areas, causing air conditioners and appliances to work harder. This inflates the homes energy bills as well.
This is why correct attic ventilation plays such a crucial role in the efficiency and durability of your home. Ever-changing weather conditions also affect attic functionality by the toll they take on roofing materials. Have your attic and roof inspected regularly to check for signs of moisture or heat build-up.
Since roofs are the first barrier to protect your home from the elements, they should always be in tip-top shape. By maintaining a proper attic-ventilation system you can extend the life of your roof and ensure a more energy efficient home.