Creative manufacturers have discovered amazing ways to refresh this old standard and liven up a home’s exterior. There are several great reasons why you should consider vinyl siding for your home:
- Low-Maintenance – Vinyl siding is well known for low maintenance. It doesn’t require painting updates and has an amazing, long lifespan.
- Energy Efficient – Vinyl siding can help lower utility bills. Insulated vinyl siding prevents heat loss within exterior walls as well as assisting your A/C in the summer.
- High Durability – Unlike wood, vinyl siding is created to withstand natures elements. Heat, rain and wind are no match for siding’s tough exterior. Siding can also withstand corrosion in high-salt, high-moisture climates.
- Versatility – You will never run out of design options when it comes to siding. Colors and textures are almost unlimited. You can even get vinyl siding that looks exactly like wood.
- Lower Cost – Yes, vinyl siding is increasingly cost effective. Generally, you will pay less per square foot then for traditional wood.
If your home currently has vinyl siding, how do you know if it needs replacing or just a comprehensive repair? You can easily conduct a visual inspection of the surface of your vinyl. Things to look for, include:
- Warping or rotting
- Loose or warped siding
- Cracks, chips or holes
- Mold or mildew
- Siding that is pulling away from the home
If possible, use a pen or screwdriver to look beneath problem areas. This will help you understand the extent of your siding issues. If there is rot, or other problems beneath the vinyl, then you know that it is not doing its job properly. If your siding only has issues in a couple of areas, then a quality repair might do the trick, but if the deterioration is widespread, then a replacement may be in order.