A roof is one of the most critical elements of your home, and when it needs to be replaced or repaired it should be done quickly and by a professional. If left unrepaired, roof problems can cause your home to suffer damage all the way from gutters to your foundation.
Permits and Licenses
In Baltimore, there are city permits that are required for any roofing job. Even if you are attempting to repair your roof on your own, a permit is required. Normally, a simple repair doesn’t require permits, but any structural roofing changes need to be permitted through the city.
Your city also stresses the importance ensuring that roofers have a roofing license issued by the state of Maryland. If they can’t produce this license, then you should look to someone else to repair your roof.
How Do You Know if Your Roof Needs Repair or Replacement?
Roofs age along with our homes, but unlike our homes, they have a definitive life expectancy. Depending on your climate, most roofs begin to wear down after 20 years or so, earlier if you live in areas that are prone to severe weather. With Baltimore weather running the gamut from hot and humid in the summer, to cold and wet in the winter, your roof needs be extremely durable. But how do you know if your roof needs a facelift?
- Leaks – Damaged shingles can allow water to penetrate the interior of your home. Look for stains on your walls or ceiling, drips and a musty odor.
- Damaged shingles – Damage from storms, age and persistent heat can cause shingles to split, curl and crack. High winds can also cause weak shingles to be displaced.
- Rising energy bills – If you roof is compromised in anyway, it cannot do its job of protecting your home. If you notice that your energy bills are rising, then you may want to get your roof inspected for signs of damage.
- Sagging roofline – A warped or sagging roofline can indicate that your underlayment or shingles are rotted or damaged.
- Attic issues – If you notice that your attic has light filtering into it, or even leaks, then your roof is obviously missing either shingles, or other components.
Do You Have a Roof Emergency?
If a severe storm has moved through your area and you suspect your roof may have significant damage, make sure to call us ASAP! Once roof damage has occurred, water is your enemy and can infiltrate your home causing widespread damage.
In most cases, we will assess the damage and either place a tarp over the affected area or do a temporary roof repair until we can get a full crew out for extensive repair or replacement.
If there is vast damage in your area, due to storms, and you are one of several hundred homeowners needing immediate roof repair, be patient. This is difficult to do when your home has damage, but you must be careful whom you hire. A quality roofing company, such as Home Improvements of America will get your roof repaired correctly and efficiently. While you wait, you can document your roofs damage with photos or video.