A roof is one of the most important components of your home, and when it needs to be repaired or replaced it should be done promptly and by a professional roofing company. If left unrepaired, roof damage can cause your home to endure harm all the way from gutters to your foundation.
Permits and Licenses for Washington D.C.
In Washington D.C., there are permits that are required by the city for most roofing jobs. Normally, a straightforward repair doesn’t require a permit, but structural roofing repairs must be permitted through the city.
It is also important to verify that roofers have a valid roofing license issued by the city. If they can’t produce this license, then you should seek out another company to repair your roof.
How Do You Know if Your Roof Needs a Full Replacement of Just a Repair?
The life expectancy of your roof depends upon the quality of shingles, workmanship, and climate. The majority of roofs begin to break down after 20 years or so, earlier if you reside in areas that are subject to recurring bouts of severe weather. With Washington D.C. weather running the scale from very hot in the summer to frigid and cold in the winter, your roof needs be particularly durable. But how do you know if your roof needs repairs?
- Leaks – Missing or deteriorated shingles can allow water to infiltrate the interior of your home. Inspect for stains on your ceilings or walls, musty odors or drips.
- Damaged shingles – Relentless heat, age and storm damage can cause shingles to crack, curl and split. High winds can also blow shingles from their attachments.
- High energy bills – If you roof is impaired, it cannot do its job of shielding your home. If your energy bills are increasing, then you should get your roof inspected for damage.
- Sagging roof – A sagging or warped or roof can suggest that your shingles or underlayment is damaged or rotted.
- Attic leaks – If you notice your attic has leaks, or light filtering into it then your roof is potentially missing shingles, or other components.
Do You Have a Roof Emergency?
If a severe storm has moved through your area and you suspect your roof may have significant damage, make sure to call us ASAP! Once roof damage has occurred, water is your enemy and can infiltrate your home causing widespread damage.
In most cases, we will assess the damage and either place a tarp over the affected area or do a temporary roof repair until we can get a full crew out for extensive repair or replacement.
If there is vast damage in your area, due to storms, and you are one of several hundred homeowners needing immediate roof repair, be patient. This is difficult to do when your home has damage, but you must be careful whom you hire. A quality roofing company, such as Home Improvements of America will get your roof repaired correctly and efficiently. While you wait, you can document your roofs damage with photos or video.