Hail, high winds, and intense heat can cause our roofs to take a beating. As homeowners, we can’t afford to ignore needed roof repairs; this can be costly in the long run and cause long term problems for your home. But how do you know if your roof needs attention? Follow these five steps to help guide you through an initial damage assessment.
- Safety first. As kids, climbing a ladder always seemed like fun, but as adults, we know better. Falling off of a roof or ladder can lead to broken bones and missed work. Don’t take chances with your safety by attempting to climb onto or walk your roof.
IF you need to prop a sturdy ladder against the side of your home to get a quick visual, then fine, go for it. But try to avoid climbing onto your roof. The steep pitch can be deceiving, and shingles are slippery, even when dry. So, leave the roof climbing to the professionals and keep your visual inspection at ground level.
- So, what should you look for? Your roof should lay flat, uniformed and appear even. Bowed shingles are a sign of damage, as are cracked, curled or missing shingles. Dents in the flashing around the chimney and other areas can be a sign of hail damage. This is also an indicator that there could be more hail damage throughout the roof.
Try to remember when this damage may have occurred. Insurance companies often ask for dates of storm damage.
- Start your visual inspection at one corner of your home and work your way completely around the home. Binoculars, or your cell phone camera will come in handy for your inspection. Zoom in and take pictures so that you can show the roofing company any damage. Keep a notepad handy and write down any issues with the roof that you see. Also take note of any dangling or dented gutters.
- Don’t forget to inspect the interior of your home for roof leaks, including the garage and attic. Walk through your home checking ceilings and the tops of walls. Is there any staining from water leaks? Have you noticed any drips in the past? If so, these are signs that your roof could have a leak from weather damage. Take note of any staining you may see.
- Call a professional. This is by far, the most important thing you can do for your home. A reputable roofing contractor is trained to assess damage and suggest the proper roofing materials for your home.
At Home Improvements of America, our roofing experts are trained to perform an extensive assessment of your roof, including inspection of the flashing, sheathing and guttering. All these areas can be damaged by severe weather and can cause long-term problems for your home and your wallet.
There is good news!
Roof damage is repairable and if caught early enough will cause no further issues for your home. Repairing or replacing a roof doesn’t have to be stressful or break the bank, but it does need to be addressed quickly.
An excellent roofing company will help guide you through the process, from initial inspection, to filing an insurance claim, to the actual repair itself. This type of guidance is crucial for a smooth repair experience and to ensure your home’s future durability.
Read more about our roofing services here: Roofing Services